Many people appreciate the fact that gold jewelry never seems to go out of style. Not only is it durable, but it does not naturally rust or tarnish. It is also non-reactive and offers countless options in terms of several colored alloys and designs when combined with both precious and semi-precious stones. When thinking about how to buy a gold necklace for yourself or someone else, there are a few things you will want to consider as you shop for various gold necklace styles.
>> Consider your basic needs
Ass essing your current and future needs is an important initial step when determining how to buy a gold necklace. Consider how regularly you wear your jewelry, and especially, whether you do so as an accessory to your outfit or for sentimental reasons. Additionally, considering your skin tone and what you like to wear will help you in figuring out how to choose gold necklaces.
When you shop for gold necklaces, you will have the opportunity to explore many gold necklace styles and designs for both men and women. Gold necklaces offer you many benefits, including versatility and many unique designs to express your personality. For example, you can wear gold chains with an array of pendants that might also go with women's garnet gold necklaces. If you need a gift, a gold necklace might be the perfect choice due to the versatility, perceived value and durability of gold.
>> Consider the length and weight
When you are thinking about how to buy a gold necklace, remember that your personal tastes are one of the most important factors. Every wardrobe is different and having necklaces with different lengths will make it easier for you to accessorize your outfits and adapt to changes to your wardrobe. When looking at a collar bone length necklace, consider measuring your neck and choosing a chain that is at least 4" longer. The general rule is that men's necklaces should be longer than women's. The standard length preferred by men is 18" -19". Additionally, a man's chain that rests on the collarbone might measure at 16" while a woman's necklace that rests on the same point may be as little as 14".
>> Consider the different types of gold necklaces
There are several designs to consider when figuring out how to buy a gold necklace. Think about the following types and how they might each pertain to your particular needs or desires.
• Curb design: These gold necklaces have different widths and are designed with interlocking links of the same length.
• Figaro design: A Figaro chain has several tiny circular links with a long oval link in between. This type of design is usually designed for men's jewelry.
• Mariner design: Mariner chains have a similar design to Figaro chains, but they alternate a small circular link with a larger oval link. This gold necklace design is a popular choice for both men and women. For ID bracelets or any jewelry with aquatic themes, consider the mariner design.
• Rope design: The rope chains have an intertwining feature that is made to look like a rope. Rope chains have two main designs: a delicate version (straight rope) and heavier designs (twisted rope). If you would like to wear your necklace with a pendant, consider the delicate model.
• Rolo design: When the interlocking links are evenly shaped, you have a rolo chain. Designs for men come in thick links that connect in the middle of the link. This design is the best gold necklace to buy for pendants.
• Snake design: These chains are usually narrow and delicate and look like a bendable tube with snakeskin texture.
• Box design: Box chains have squared links and are preferred for women's jewelry because they are usually worn with pendants.
• Marine design: Marine necklaces are also unisex and come in different lengths and widths, usually with concave, flat marine links. This type of necklace is a popular choice by both men or women.
• Herringbone design: Gold herringbone necklaces are made up of very thin 10kt or 14kt gold bands to form a thick necklace.
>> Consider the materials and carats (kt)
When figuring out how to buy a gold necklace, consider that the level of gold purity contained in a necklace is measured in carats (kt). Gold necklaces typically come in the following: 9kt, 10kt, 12kt, 14kt, 18kt, 22kt and 24kt.
The higher the number of carats, the more gold there is. For example, men's 24kt gold necklaces would be considered as pure or solid gold. Filled or rolled gold, such as 18kt gold jewelry, is a combination of gold and other metals. This gold necklace style is popularly used with thick-set jewelry with slender links such as the 14kt gold necklaces. Plating is another attractive design to consider when figuring out how to buy a gold necklace. It is less expensive than solid and filled gold but has a beautiful luster because the outer coating is made of pure gold.
>> Consider the color
Of all the gold necklace designs, the color is considered the most attractive feature. The most common colors are white gold, where the gold has been mixed with another white metal such as manganese, nickel or palladium. The white gold diamond necklaces are good gifts to give for birthdays, weddings and anniversaries. Yellow gold, such as 10kt gold necklaces, have a brighter color, and rose gold necklaces are a lovely combination of gold and copper. The more copper there is, the darker the hue.
When assessing the different types of gold necklace designs, remember that an attractive color will make the jewelry piece even more beautiful and will also complement your skin tone. One of the best aspects of thinking about how to choose a gold necklace is the many choices in styles you will have. As such, you will want to plan your jewelry wardrobe in advance to make it easier to know your options in the various gold necklace designs.
>> Consider the clasp
Lastly, you will want to consider the clasp on the necklace. You might like to choose lobster clasps because they are easy to release, are more durable and are less likely to snag clothing. You might also find barrel clasps, hook clasps and ring clasps that might be more suited to either your style or ease of use.